- May 18, 2017
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Open to Tenants & Members (free) and the General Public ($25)
Over 80% of people with disabilities in developing countries live in poverty. Does your organization recognize their needs and include them in your programs?
With this training, you will recognize the potential of every person with a disability and your organization’s potential to better serve them. Posner Center’s International Collaboration Fund provided Posner members, Uhambo and emBOLDen Alliances, an opportunity to survey members and assess their level of awareness about disability inclusion as it relates to international development and community engagement. This training is designed based on the feedback of respondents. We foresee that this training will identify additional needs of members that may be addressed in the future.
This training will inform, educate and inspire you and your team to be more inclusive of disabilities and other populations with special needs. Through case studies, success stories (and not-so-successful stories), dialogue and videos, your knowledge in the following areas will be advanced:
- The human rights perspective of disabilities and the international tenets that support them
- What does “Inclusion” mean and how is your organization focusing on it?
- Hear about Uhambo’s holistic model and its origins in South Africa
- Overcome fear or anxiety of connecting with people with disabilities by learning how to address and interact with them
- Utilizing a networked approach to develop resources and solutions
- Identify gaps in your organization and identify possibilities for enhanced inclusivity
- Practical guidelines that can be applied in your organization
Following the training, Uhambo and emBOLDen will also offer a social reception with food and drink from 5 until 6:30 PM. All are welcome to stay for food and drink.
- All participants must register using the link below.
- If you plan to join for both the training and the reception, please select both ticket options.
- Staff of Tenant and Member organizations are welcome to participate virtually if they cannot attend in person. Please be sure to select the appropriate ticket option below, and we’ll communicate access instructions in advance of the training.